Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 11, 2010

City Dwellers

After a day of resting we headed out bright and early Saturday morning to the National Zoo.  We chose to ride the metro into the DC.  We took our time to be the obvious tourists and snapped pictures of Lily on her first foray with mass transit.

On the platform.  Sooooo excited for the train.

On the Red Line.
Returning above ground. 


The Zoo was pretty crowded, but what do you expect on a beautiful October Saturday?  Cayce and I were obviously more interested in the animals than Lily, but she did find one exhibit she liked.  The Crabs.

Lily enjoyed tracing their movements with her hands.


But then she spotted something way more interesting.

Her refection!

We had one odd run in at the Zoo.  Cayce was pretty shocked by it.  I, unfortunately, had already experienced a similar interaction while at the mall.  People think I place too much value on what other people think or do in relation to me, but sometimes, I'm proven correct that there are too many rude and interfering people in this world.  While we were walking around Lily fell asleep in the stroller.  We had stopped and were looking at the apes when a woman approached us.   She starts in.  "Oh may I please move your baby's head?  She looks so uncomfortable."  I, already apprised of the situation, say "oh she's fine.  I don't want to wake her."  She then continues.  "Oh please?  I just love babies so much.  I won't wake her."  I relinquish and let her try.  Of course Lily flops her head right back, and I thanked the woman for trying.  We moved on, and thankfully Lily slept through it.  I then took a picture because I was already thinking of the blog I would have to write.


It's not as if I put her in the stroller in that position.  She did it.  She often falls asleep in what appears to be the most uncomfortable spots.  I was checking on her.  She was alive.  I've decided to join the camp of thought "never wake a sleeping baby." If she's not bothered so much by the position to wake up, then why should I make her more "comfortable?"  I'm just annoyed that this was the SECOND time someone has tried to move Lily after she fell asleep in the stroller.  Mind your own business please.  Unless I appear to be causing grave harm to my child please keep your opinion to yourself.  Thank you.

We enjoyed the rest of the day.  Lily woke up eventually.  Happy and well rested.


Cayce insisted on taking one of our signature "self portraits." 

After the zoo we made our way to Union Station, and found a nice local Irish restaurant with a bustling outdoor patio.  The weather was perfect, and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Lily was chipper and enjoyed her first ever experience with regular mashed potatoes.


So exciting!  Lily wearing a jacket for the first time ever!
Our first actual day in DC was wonderful.  We were all pretty exhausted by the end of the day.  A good night's rest was a must because the next day was Smithsonian day!

No comments:

Post a Comment