Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Nesting.... or not

We're on the "final countdown" *cue Rocky 4's "Final Countdown"*  I'm assuming I'm setting myself up for major failure here.  If there were a term to describe my baby preparations it would be: lackadaisical.  Just a more friendly way of saying LAZY.  Cayce on the other hand has taken to this "nesting" thing with a vigor never before seen in our 6 year marriage.  It was Cayce who, sneakily might I add, started washing Lily's blankets and clothing (don't ask, apparently there's some deep seeded anxiety on my part regarding the finality to washing baby clothes).  It was Cayce who found and purchased Lily's beautiful bassinet (I was at home completely oblivious to this endeavor).  It was Cayce who insisted on finally taking Lily's crib out of the garage and putting it together.  It was Cayce who insisted we find a suitable piece of furniture for comfy feedings.  It was Cayce who has eagerly put together every. single. baby. contraption. delivered to our door the minute he crosses our threshold after work, regardless of the level of weariness the RMC has left him that day. It was Cayce who installed our new ceiling fan in the bedroom (purely for Lily's comfort during the impending hot, steamy, SC summer). It was Cayce who brought my car to a super fantastic measure of cleanliness when he, two weeks ago, insisted on installing Lily's car seat. It was Cayce who dragged me all over Savannah and back buying the necessities for my "hospital bag;" this started about 3 weeks ago...  It was Cayce who took both our vehicles in for their oil change. Cayce's also *gasp* taken over supper prep a few nights!  He has also managed to search out every random "housekeeping" duty that needs tending to and attacked these chores full steam ahead: shampooing the carpet, raking and burning leaves, sorting and cleaning junk from the garage, organizing the mystery tupperware cabinet, and organizing Lily's closet (by clothing size and age) and her bathroom.  In other words if one were to judge solely by the level of preparation and activity who's excited for this baby it would be very difficult to make an argument for me.  So while Cayce's been working himself to the bone getting ready for our precious baby what have I done?  Sleep, pee, eat...sound familiar?  Well, and waddle a bit too.   I will forever be grateful for the amazing amount of care, love, and attention Cayce has given me during this pregnancy. He's gotten me countless glasses of water, carried umpteen loads of laundry up and down the stairs, driven me through the Dairy Queen drive through for at least 50 dip cones, loaded the dishwasher at least 200 times, given me lots of back and foot rubs, and sat through hours of baby prep classes. We all know if I had had things *my* way (and God laughs at me here) I would have loved to have been on my 2nd or 3rd baby by now, but sometimes those "unanswered prayers" really are magnificent.  Maybe Cayce and me at 21 and 22 years old would not have been as excited or prepared for bringing another human being into this world, or even at the *ancient* age of 24 and 25, we wouldn't have understood just what a miracle we are being given here.  We have had 6 years to enjoy "us," 6 years to explore, venture, and be selfish, 6 years to work out kinks in our marriage, 6 years to become each others best friend, and 6 years to realize that while our little family is great and wonderful, at least one more soul would make our family even better, even more loving, and even more exciting.  We're emotionally ready for the change and challenge, now we're praying we have the wisdom, skill, and patience to care for Lily.  We'll have millions of questions, millions of concerns, and millions of moments of confusion, but we know we have wonderful family and friends to rely on for support and answers.  So 18 more days for everyone to prepare themselves for onslaught of "HELP!" from the Mautino household.  Eighteen more days for everyone to let it sink in Cayce and Sara are going to be Mommy and Daddy!  Eighteen more days....

No comments:

Post a Comment